Saturday 9 September 2023

I found it!

 I found it! After more than 20 years of searching it suddenly appeared on a search engine. This is a personal blog that I just wanted to share for the sheer joy of solving a years old mystery.

You know when you get the answer you are looking for but only if you ask the question in the right way. I had tried this a hundred times or more to find a piece of music that my mother said was her favourite piece of all time but the clues were too generic to help.

First, the piece of music was called 'Concerto' in the film; That hardly narrowed it down. Secondly, the music came from the film 'Phantom of The Opera' of which there are many and now that it is also a musical made searching that way almost impossible.

So today, on a whim, I decided to try one more time and entered the question, 'phantom of the opera film with music called concerto'. I rationalised that 'phantom of the opera film' eliminated the musicals. I also thought that rather than searching through thousands of pointless concertos, if I said, 'with music called concerto', it might just link the two together and give me the film that had eluded me for decades.

And, to my surprise, up it came. Phantom of The Opera 1943 starring Nelson Eddy, Susanna Foster and one of my mothers favourite Hollywood crushes, Claud Rains.

Eagerly I searched the You tube archives to hear the music and there it was with the title "The Lullaby of The Bells" by Edward Ward (no relation that I know of).

I then sourced both the piano music and the DVD as if they were a treasure that laid buried until disturbed by my persistent picking away at the search engine that only wants to sell you things.

Not knowing had bugged me for years. I wanted to play it on piano for my mother but I regret she died before I could discover the music. So it might be posthumous but I will learn to play it.


No comments:

Post a Comment